This delicious Chocolate Shortcake with Strawberries, Blueberries and Chocolate Sauce is the ideal summertime snack! Fresh fruit is the perfect complement to this sweet treat.
I love making cookies and taking care of my family! But it wasn’t always this way. There was a time in my life where baking was something bakeries did and that having kids was not a part of the plan.
In fact, if you would have asked me 15 years ago (before kids) what I most wanted for my (future) kids I would have said something horribly vain and ridiculous like, “I want them to be cute.”
Today if you were to ask me what I want most for my kids the answer is simple.
I want them to be healthy and kind.
The tough part is, having a baking blog certainly doesn’t contribute to the healthy part. My life is full of decadent cakes and cookies and frostings and chocolate. That is one reason I am a vigilant when it comes to their health. Occasional treats are fine, but the big picture is what is really on my mind… developing good habits that will last a lifetime.
My motto: Take care of the body that God gave you and do it in a way that makes the most sense for our lifestyle.
We are going to eat sugar, that is just a fact. So what can I do to help their little bodies and teeth stay as healthy as possible? Well, I have spent hours and hours and hours researching this and one thing seems to be a common factor in all the advice I get.
Preventative is best.
Believing very strong in the preventative approach led me to Aquafresh® Extreme Clean® Whitening Action which includes gentle whiteners for a brighter smile and includes Sugar Acid Protection from fluoride to protect against sugar acids.
What that means is that when my kids brush their teeth regularly with Aquafresh® toothpaste, their teeth are protected throughout the day. So if I sneak a chocolate shortcake with fresh berries into their lunch I can do away with the mommy-guilt that used to accompany those sweet treats.
Because I will be sneaking treats in their lunches!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 20 strawberries sliced
- 1 cup blueberries
- Chocolate Sauce
- Cool Whip (or homemade whipped cream)
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Cut in butter and chocolate chips until crumbly.
- Add whipping cream and stir until just moistened.
- Divide dough into 8 patties, about 3/4-in. thick. (Will be similar in size and shape to a hockey puck)
- Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Brush with egg white; sprinkle with coarse sugar and remaining chips.
- Bake at 450° for 11-13 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cut cool chocolate shortcake in half.
- Place bottom half on plate and cover in strawberries, blueberries, whipped cream, and chocolate sauce.
- Set top layer of shortcake on top. Cover in whipped cream, fruit, and chocolate sauce.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.
I was lucky enough to actually get to meet some of the folks working with Aquafresh® toothpaste and I could see the passion they had for the product. I could see that this was something special and that adding this one little thing to my parenting regime was going to make a difference in our lives. And it really has!
It’s wonderful to find such simple & sweet ways to bless my family.
Speaking of sweet ways to bless others… if you love the classic Strawberry Shortcake, you are going to absolutely love this chocolately twist on a classic!
This post is brought to you by me (all thoughts and recipe is my own) and Aquafresh. As you know, I only work with companies that I truly believe in and use. Thank you for helping me to continue to bring you beautiful and delicious treats and share with you the products that improve our lives!
You can learn more about Aquafresh here: