Simple Strawberry Shortcake Mousse Cups are the perfect way to taste the flavors of summer! Fast, easy, rich and refreshing… everything you want in a dessert!
This recipe was one that fooled me. It seems too easy, too simple in its ingredients to be anything that would “wow” you. I didn’t have high expectations, I simply thought it would be ok.
Well. This dessert impressed me a whole heck of a lot.
The only problem I have with this recipe is that it only makes four. So next time, I will double it!
Or triple, you know, because yum.
- 4 ounces (1/2 package) cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup coarsely crushed shortbread cookies, divided
- 6 strawberries, chopped into small pieces
- Beat cream cheese, cinnamon and 1/4 cup of the sugar in stand mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Add coconut milk beat until well blended. Pour (or scoop) ingredients into a large clean bowl and then clean out mixer bowl.
- Pour cream into stand mixer bowl and beat cream and remaining 1/4 cup sugar on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- Add 1/2 of the whipped cream to cream cheese mixture stir until well blended. Gently fold in remaining whipped cream.
- Spoon 2 teaspoons of the crushed cookies into a small tea cup or large shot glass.
- Divide strawberry slices evenly among glasses.
- Scoop mousse into a pastry bag and then pipe out into cups.
- Garnish with more strawberry pieces and shortbread cookie crumbs.
I have adapted this recipe from McCormick with permission.
Now, because I NEVER seem to be able to remember to take my cream cheese out of the refrigerator so that it can properly warm to room temperature, here are a couple tips that I have used to “cheat”!
How to soften cream cheese quickly:
- Wrap the cream cheese in plastic wrap, then submerge it in a bowl of hot tap water for 5-10 min.
- Put the cream cheese into your stand mixer and turn it on medium-high for 3-5 minutes. (I recommend the paddle attachment as I would always find lumps when I used the whisk)
- Microwave for 15-20 seconds. I like to use a fork and mash the cream cheese a bit before I put it in the microwave. I also stir it completely when it’s done to make sure that it is even.
- I can’t verify is this is true, but I heard hat Julia Childs always whacked butter with a rolling pin to quickly bring it to room temperature. If you don’t mind a little mess, this might work for cream cheese as well!
As you can tell by the numerous amount of pictures, I was totally smitten with these delightful desserts. I just know you will be too!
I think you could also easily substitute Cool Whip for the from-scratch whipped cream in the recipe if you happened to be in a hurry.
Just make sure when you sit down to eat one that you have all the time in the world and can savor each amazing bite!